|COURSE DESCRIPTION ||Transgender Health 101 is the first of six courses in our Transgender Health Learning Series. Transgender Health 101 and Transgender Health 102 serve as prerequisite courses for the advanced, specialized courses found in Transgender Health 103 - 106. Transgender Health Learning Series serves as a convenient, online series of six courses for healthcare providers and for people interested in becoming more familiar with the transgender community. Our goal is to increase public awareness and help orient public health and healthcare professionals address issues specific to the transgender community. Our long term goal is to work towards a transgender culturally competent healthcare and public health workforce. A workforce that is welcoming, respectful, affirming, and knowledgeable.
At the conclusion of this course, you will be able to:
- Define and differentiate between sex and gender, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation with respect to the transgender community and lesbian, gay, and bisexual communities
- Identify each letter of the LGBTQ acronym and define each term
- Articulate the proper use of pronouns and their importance
- Recognize specific psychological distress and behavioral health trends encountered by people who are transgender
- Describe population health and how this effects a transgender person’s access to health care and its cost and quality
- Construct a safe zone for transgender individuals in your organization or community